Salkantay Hike 5D/4N
Why Salkantay Trek 5D/4N?
Salkantay Hike to Machu Picchu, the old and remote alternative path to the Inca Trail, know why it is so special?, Salkantay Hike has spectacular views and with different ecological levels we will walk among lagoons, impressive snow-capped mountains such as Salkantay and Humantay, crossing rivers and subtropical areas of abundant vegetation and fauna. This road is an excellent option for those who want to escape from the most congested routes and in a faster way, or for those who are looking for an alternative when the traditional Inca Trail spaces are occupied.
This impressive excursion passes under the magnificent Salkantay mountain (6,710 m. / 22,014 ft), one of the highest and most impressive of the Peruvian Andes.
- Day 01: Cusco – Mollepata – Challacancha -Soraypampa
- Day 02: Soyrapampa – Collpapampa
- Day 03: Collpapampa – La Playa
- Day 04: La Playa – Llactapata – Hidroelectrica – Aguas Calientes
- Day 05: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
Highlights of the Classic Inca Trail:
- 5 day Inca Trail hike with a professional bilingual Tour Guide, a Cook and Porters,
- Following the best alternative trek route with many varieties of flora and fauna
- Visit of Incan monuments inaccessible by road,
- Guided tour of Machu Picchu.
Day 01: Cusco – Mollepata – Soraypampa
We will start very early in the morning, passing by your hotel to pick you up and transport to Mollepata, a small and beauty town located at an altitude of 2850 m.a.s.l. of temperate climate. From this point we can appreciate the Salkantay snow peak with a height of 6200 m.a.s.l And we will start our walk appreciating a varied landscape of jungle brow during the tour, where we will have time to have lunch and continue with our walk until we reach Soraypampa where our first camp will be and where also and after the luch we will have the opportunity to visit Humantay Lagoon. Our trek for this day is a little tired, thats why we suggest to have good trekking shoes, have warm clothes for the night and not carry much luggage.
Day 02: Soraypampa – Salkantay Snow Peak – Chaullay
After our delicious breakfast, we will continue our journey, on this day a long walk awaits us. We will begin to walk for a moderate climb for two hours until we reach the Abra or “Salkantay Pass” (4,600 m.a.s.l). we will take the opportunity to take amazing pictures in front of the Salkantay Snowy. Then we will start descending for two and a half hours to the lunch place in Huayracmachay. After a good rest, we will continue our trek downhill towards the jungle. After about two hours, we will arrive to Chaullay, where we will spend the night. This day we will appreciate the clearly Andean landscape and a variety of typical jungle-browed orchids.
DAY 3: Chaullay – La Playa
After breakfast at 06:30 a.m. We will continue with the hike through the high jungle, crossing the Lluskamayo river and a variety of small streams. We will pass through magnificent valleys that have wonderful waterfalls, and some tropical fruits and plants, appreciating a variety of coca crops, considered the sacred leaf of our ancestors of the Inca empire which is currently cultivated in tropical areas, this last section will be descent to Sahuayaco Beach «La Playa» where we will spend the night.
Day 04: La Playa – Llactapata – Aguas calientes
Our sunrise will be so magical, inside a tropical area surrounded by nature, there our breakfast awaits us ready to taste and then continue our journey towards Aguas Calientes (also called Machupicchu Town) upon arriving to this village it will take us a while Approximately 7 hours, passing by the well-known center of rest of Hydroelectric, making stops in different places to appreciate simply the landscape and its surroundings full of waterfalls with impressive falls which come from the glaciers, we will also appreciate a view of the terraces of Machu Picchu and Huaynapicchu; arriving in the afternoon to the mentioned town that is popularly known as “Aguas Calientes”, there we will spend the night in a hostel at the foot of the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu.
Day 05: Machu picchu – Cusco
In the morning we will ascend towards the majestic Inca city of Machu Picchu, Later we will have a guided tour for an approximate of 2 hrs. Within the archaeological site we will also visit the most important places of the Agricultural Sector and Urban Sector that are inside the Archaeological Park as well as; the Main Square, the Circular Tower, the Inti Watana or Wayranas, the Royal Rooms, the Temple of the Three Windows and the cemeteries within the Urban Sector. After the tour you will have free time to visit this site on your own, the Inca bridge, Inti Punku, temple of the moon.
If you have the entrance to HUAYNAPICCHU (not included), you can do it at this time. Then we return to the town of Aguas Calientes for lunch visiting the town and return to Ollantaytambo according to the departure time of your train ticket and then we arrive in Cusco.
If you are interested in making the ascent to Huaynapicchu during the visit to Machu Picchu, keep in mind that there are new regulations and permits have to be purchased in advance. The cost of having an entrance to Machu Picchu, which includes the permits to go up to the Huayna Picchu is USD 80.00 extra and we must have this in writing and confirmed at the time of your reservation.
- Pre-trek briefing (Our guide will visit your hotel a day before the trek for your briefing);
- Early morning transfer by private bus to Challacancha – the initial point of the trek;
- Accommodation: Campsites (3 nights) and a Hotel in Machu Picchu (1 night);
- Entrance fee to the red of Salkantay and Machu Picchu;
- Meals: 4x breakfast, 4x lunch, 4x dinner and 4x afternoon hot beverages (please advise us in advance if you are a vegetarian; this option is for NO extra additional cost)
- Professional bilingual Tour Guide (a group of up to 8 participants receives 1 Guide, a group over 8 persons receives 2 Guides);
- Professional Cook;
- Horses to carry food, camping and cooking equipment and 5 kg of each passenger’s stuff;
- An emergency horse which can be ridden if you are feeling ill or if are a little slower;
- Water every day (excluding the first 4 hours of the trek when you need to bring your own);
- Camping equipment: Personal double tents (4 person tent which allows for greater comfort, and also storage of backpacks);
- Inflatable mattress (Term-a-Rest Mattress);
- A sleeping bag (for up to -5°C);
- A blanket per person
- A pillow
- Tables and chairs, a cooking tent with cooking equipment, dining and toilet tents and bottled gas;
- Duffel bag (for your personal belongings);
- A T-shirt of the Salkantay Trek Map;
- A shuttle bus down from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes Town;
- Tourist train from Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu) to Ollantaytambo;
- Tourist bus from Ollantaytambo to Cusco;
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Breakfast on the day 1 and lunch on the last day;
- International and domestic flights nor airport departure taxes;
- Travel insurance;
- Entrance fee to Huayna Picchu (U$80) or Machu Picchu Mountain (U$80);
- A shuttle bus between Machu Picchu and Aguas Calientes Town ($12 – one way, $24 – a round trip);
- Tips to local staff (please note: it is a custom to give tips in Peru; however, it is not obligatory);
- Other extras not mentioned.
Frequently Asked Questions
Doubts about your next adventure? Bellow the most frequent questions selected for you. Enjoy your trip without problems and with all information about the trek.
What is Salkantay 5 Day Trek?
It is one of the alternative routes of mountaineering adventure that we made to reach Machupicchu, in recent years this roads is visited by thousands of foreigners for the majesty of a snowy mountain known as the wild mountain, the excursions can be done by several Travel Agencies , each one provides the services as you wish, there is no regulation of visitors, however it all depends which tour operator can choose to make, there are tour services of all prices, but it is important that you take into account an operator registered by the ministry as us. Discover this amazing adventure wuth a guarantee and local operator.
Can I do Salkantay by my own?
Yes, you can do without problems, since it is not yet regulated by the Peruvian government, but many people who go alone then regret, because sometimes they need help and every tourist are with their tourist guide and tour operator. To go without a guide, you must take a bus to Mollepata you can take a muleteer so you can carry your backpacks if you do not want to take them, but it is not necessary to see if you can turn with so much backpack at the pace of 4200 meters, keep in mind that there are restaurants just on the first camping , but the rest of days not, so you must take your food for the rest.
How about Salkantay climate?
The weather in Salkantay way is variant, for nights it is very cold up to 0 ° C, from day to 17 ° C in minimum winter time -5 ° C. This is only on the first day of encampment, from the second day starts an unbearable heat, so you should wear light clothing and enough sunscreen because the sun is very strong, more so with the reflection of the snow
How to reserve Salkantay Hike?
Ask for the general information to firstname.lastname@example.org, we are experts in treks of Adventure and traditional routes, we are tour operators of the four Inca roads that arrive at Machupicchu, ask for security, ask for a guarantee on your online payments, with our website account pay safe.
How many people make up the
group in salkantay?
We carry from 1 to 16 people, with assistant guide and cooks with assistants, as the case may be, but if you want less people it is better to hire a private service, even if you are visiting this trek with your family.
Once in Machu Picchu: Are there
ATMs inthe town?
Yes, there are ATMs and banks in Aguas Calientes, all communication, services such as internet, telephone, restaurants that provide free Wi-Fi note that there is no taxi transport, everything is on foot up and down stairs
Get 10% Off on Your First Trip!
Your first travel to Peru? Good news for you!! We have the best packages with 10% off. So plan your next vacations with us.