classic inca trail
Inca Trail to Machu Picchu:Explore the original path of the Incas.
The Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is a spectacular trekking experience. Undoubtedly the best trekking experience in Peru, but at the same time it can be said that it is one of the best routes in the world. The trail meanders through some of the most sublime landscapes of the Peruvian Andes and, as if That was not enough, it leads to one of the wonders of the world, the famous Machu Picchu. Inca Trail Machu Picchu invites you to awaken your senses through this imposing adventure, the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.
- Day 01: Cusco – Km 82 – Llullucha Pampa
- Day 02: Llullucha Pampa – Chaquicocha
- Day 03: Chaquicocha – Wiñaywayna
- Day 04: Wiñay Wayna – Machu Picchu – Cusco
DAY 1: Cusco – Ollantaytambo – Wayllabamba
We start our trip early in the morning, after picking up all our hikers we will head to Ollantaytambo. Where those who want breakfast can take, then we will continue until Km. 82 Piscacucho (2,700 meters above sea level), where the Entrance Control to the Inca Trail is located, then we will start the trek to Machu Picchu, after 2 hours of walking we will arrive to Llaqtapata (2,750 masl). Inca archaeological site that will be explained by our guide. After our visit to this interesting place we will have lunch, prepared by our experienced chef and his team, which will surely leave you amazed by its gastronomy. After lunch we will continue with our walk towards our 1st. Camp in Wayllabamba (3,000 m.a.s.l.). Finally a well-deserved rest we will have the lunch and then the dinner, in order to spend the night.
- Distance traveled: 14 kilometers from Km 82 – Wayllabamba.
- Initial altitude: 2,700 meters above sea level. (Km 80 – Piscacucho)
- Altitude camp: 3,000 meters above sea level. (Wayllabamba)
- Maximum altitude: 3,000 meters above sea level. (Wayllabamba)
- Meals: Lunch, Tea time, Dinner.
- Lodging: Outdoor camp.
- Activities: Hike from K82
DAY 2: Wayllabamba – Warmiwañusca – Pacaymayo
In the morning after breakfast we will continue the walk, this time we will begin to ascend slightly for 9 km towards the pass of Warmiwañusca (4,200 meters above sea level). Warmiwañuaca is the highest point of the Inca Trail, which is a path with stairs which makes it heavier and harder for the legs, it is recommended to do it without haste to the rhythm of each one, without worrying about the group leaving us. Once all the members of the group are reunited we will continue, but this time also descending by stairways of loss; In this section you can appreciate variety of flora and have views that make this Inca Trail unique, then we will reach our 2nd. camp in Pacaymayo (3,600 masl.). We will have dinner and then we will spend the night in that place.
- Distance traveled: 11 km from Wayllabamba – Pacaymayo.
- Initial altitude: 3,000 meters above sea level. (Wayllabamba)
- Altitude camp: 3,600 masl. (Pacaymayo)
- Maximum altitude: 4,200 meters above sea level. (Warmiwañusca)
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Tea time, Dinner.
- Lodging: Outdoor camp.
DAY 3: Pacaymayo – Runkurakay – Wiñaywayna
After breakfast we will continue our walk this stretch is 16 km. full of vegetation and amount of Inca archaeological sites of different functions. The first archaeological site we will visit will be Runkurakay (3,970 meters above sea level), which is another Inca archaeological complex in the form of towers that has a strategic surveillance site in this valley. Then we continue to Chaquicocha, where we will have lunch, continue to Phuyupatamarka (which means place or town above the clouds), on the route we will go through a tunnel carved in rock and continue to Wiñaywayna, another wonderful complex where we will spend the night. The tour is 8 hours full of beautiful landscapes and vegetation in Wiñaywayna.
- Distance covered: 16 km from Pacaymayo – Wiñaywayna.
- Initial altitude: 3,600 meters above sea level. (Pacaymayo)
- Altitude camp: 2,400 meters above sea level. (Wiñaywayna)
- Maximum altitude: 3,970 meters above sea level. (Runkurakay)
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Tea time, Dinner.
- Lodging: Outdoor camp.
- Activities: Guided tours in Runkurakay, Phuyupatamarka and Wiñaywayna.
DAY 4: Wiñaywayna – Inka City of Machu Picchu – Cusco
Very early 3:30 am and after breakfast we will continue the trek to the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu, we will go through the last control and continue to the Inti Punku (Sun Gate) and then to Machu Picchu. We will have a majestic panoramic view of Machu Picchu, then you will have your guided visit to the place full of history, along with the guide will tour the most important and prominent sites of the sectors of the ancient Inca City (Agricultural Sector and Reliogoso), then may have time Free to take more photos, and explore the archaeological site on your own. Then we will go down by bus to the town of Aguas Calientes, here you will find your guide so you can share the last lunch (optional and the price of the tour is not included) and then go to the train station to return to the town of Ollantaytambo, finally in a tourist bus to the city of Cusco.
- Distance traveled: 4km from Wiñaywayna – Machu Picchu.
- Initial altitude: 2,400 meters above sea level. (Wiñaywayna)
- Maximum altitude: 2,720 meters above sea level. (Inti Punku or Puerta del Sol)
- Altitude Machu Picchu: 2,020 meters above sea level.
- Meals: Breakfast.
- Activities: Visit to Sun Gate and Machu Picchu
- Pre-trek briefing (Our guide will visit your hotel a day before the trek for your briefing);
- Transfer by private vehicle to the initial point of the Inca Trail at Km 82;
- Accommodation: camping (3 nights);
- Inca Trail Permit and entrance fee to Machu Picchu;
- Meals: 3x breakfast, 3x lunch, 3x dinner, 3x afternoon´s hot beverages (If you are a vegetarian, please advise us in advance. A vegetarian meal option is for NO extra cost!);
- Experienced bilingual Tour Guide (a group up to 8 participants has 1 Tour Guide, a groups over 8 participants receives 2 Tour Guides);
- A professional Cook;
- Porters to carry food, camping, cooking equipment and and 5 kg of each passenger’s stuff;
- Camping equipment: Personal double tents (4 person tent which allows for greater comfort, and also storage of backpacks);
- Thermarest mattress (inflatable mattress for more comfort to sleep in the trail)
- A sleeping bag (for up to -5°C);
- A blanket per person
- A pillow
- Day Pack Rain Covers;
- Water every day (excluding the first 4 hours of the trek when you need to bring your own);
- Tables and chairs, cooking tent with cooking equipment, dining and toilet tents and bottled gas;
- Rain Ponchos;
- Duffel bag (for your personal belongings);
- A T-shirt of the Classic Inca Trail Map;
- Tourist train (Expedition Class) from Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu) to Ollantaytambo;
- A shuttle bus down from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes Town;
- Tourist bus from Ollantaytambo to Cusco;
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Breakfast on the first day and last lunch in Aguas Calientes Town,
- Travel insurance;
- Entrance fee to Huayna Picchu ($80) or Machu Picchu Mountain ($80);
- Extra Porter to help you carrying up to 15 kg of your personal belonging (USD 130; the Extra Porter can be shared between 2 persons);
- Tips to local staff (please note: it is a custom to give tips in Peru; however, it is not obligatory);
- Other extras not mentioned.
Frequently Asked Questions
Planning to travel through the most amazing path Inca Trail? Bellow, the most frequent Question that will help you to plan the best trip in your travel memories.
What is the Inca Trail to Machu
Inca Trail is the name that has been given to the road networks that conform the system of the Inca Empire, in this sense the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is an Inca route that leads at one of the 7 Wonders of the Modern World. On the way you know and enjoy the different archaeological sites, landscapes, beautiful panoramic views and, in addition, you can enjoy the coexistence with a new group of people during the walk.
Do I really need to book the Inca
Trail in advance?
The permits for the Inca Trail are very limited, there are only 500 tickets per day of which 300 will be used by trekking staff, cooks, porters and guides, this means that you must reserve many months in advance if you want to secure a place; we recommend doing it six months before. However, if you want to come during the high season (from May to September) you must make your reservation 8 or 10 months before.
When is the best time to travel
the Inca Trail?
The high season on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is from May to September, because this time coincides with vacations in the Western Hemisphere. These months probably offer the best trekking conditions with a dry and sunny climate. However, as we said before, you must reserve the permits many months before. April, October and November are also great months to make the Inca Trail; there are fewer hikers, although it is likely that at least one day will rain during the trek.
How long does the Inca Trail and
alternative tours last?
The duration time is according to the tour you make; the most famous is the Classic Inca Trail tour that lasts 4 days and 3 nights and reaches a maximum height of 4200 masl; the second is the Short Inca Trail Tour of 2 days. We also have other alternative adventure tours to the Inca Trail: the most amazing adventure «Inca Jungle Trail» in which you enjoy a bike travel with many adventure sports or if you enjoy more a natural trek, Salkantay Trek tour mountain is the best option.
Is the Inca Trail a very difficult or
The walk is not very common and it is slightly difficult since it is between mountains and not in flat places where we are used to walking, in the Inca Trail what is required so that it is not so difficult or heavy is a physical preparation before From the trip; For example, one of the difficulties is having to climb and descend stone steps that are in the whole route. It is NOT a dangerous tour, but you must walk through the places assigned by the authorities and by the guide
What happens if I get sick and
need to go back?
Get 10% Off Your First Trip
Your first travel to Peru? Good news for you!! We have the best packages with 10% off. So plan your next vacations with us.